Moving? Here are a few quick tips to help.
Moving is an exciting time, and while you’re getting settled in your new home, it’s a great time to find out if your home is enrolled in PeakRewards. If it is, you’ll enjoy bill credits June–September (up to $100!).
Before you get started make sure you take the following steps to confirm your enrollment in PeakRewards.
- Confirm your serial number: you should receive a letter a few weeks after you move in with your thermostat serial number and other enrollment details.
- Register your ecobee3 lite.
- Call PeakRewards at 1.888.309.PEAK (7325) Monday–Friday, 8am - 5pm, with any questions or concerns.
Select a topic below to learn more about moving in with PeakRewards.
Features of your New Wi-Fi Thermostat
You’ll enjoy flexibility and savings with your new Wi-Fi thermostat, the ecobee3 lite. Not only will you have control at your fingertips, you’ll enjoy year-round savings. Here are some other great benefits you’ll enjoy with your Wi-Fi thermostat.
|Control from anywhere with your Android or Apple device, such as Apple Watch, iPhone or iPad|
|Connect to your smart home system like Apple HomeKit or Amazon Echo|
|Use vacation setting to lower energy use while you’re away|
|View the local weather forecast right on the thermostat|
Registering your ecobee3 lite
You can register your thermostat online at ecobee.com or by downloading the ecobee app. To register online, follow the steps below. To register with the ecobee app, download it to your Apple or Android devices from the App Store and follow the prompted steps.
- From your thermostat home screen, go to the Menu by clicking the 3 lines on the bottom left. The top menu item is Registration. Under that, it should say 1 step left. Click it and you will be presented with a 4 character registration code.
- The device will need to be unregistered to complete this step. To unregister, go to the Main Menu, scroll to Settings, and then scroll to Reset. Select Reset All, and select Yes to reset the ecobee.
- Go to www.ecobee.com/register. Select ecobee3 lite. Enter the 4-digit code from the thermostat.
- Click Next and then Accept Terms & Conditions, then click Next.
- After you click Next, select your additional options and then click Start Using the Portal.
Connecting to Wi-Fi
- Click the image of 3 lines which will take you to the Menu. Go to Settings, then select Wi-Fi.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi Radio setting is Enabled. Select Network, then Wi-Fi network, hit Next.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter the authentication credentials. While the network credentials are being authenticated, you’ll see a little bee flying around. The authentication can take a little while depending on how strong your Wi-Fi connection is.
What is PeakRewards
Your participation in PeakRewards is important because you save money and help protect the environment. By enrolling in PeakRewards you agree to allow BGE to cycle your A/C during periods of “peak” demand. In exchange, you receive bill credits June–September. Once your enrollment is complete, your cycling level will automatically be set at 50%.
Your participation in PeakRewards helps to:
- Maintain reliable service while keeping down the cost of electricity for everyone
- Reduce the need for additional power plants
- Protect our environment by lowering power plant emissions to reduce our carbon footprint
- Support the state’s EmPOWER Maryland goals
Cycling events will typically occur during the summer months of June through September but can happen during other months throughout the year. If there is a significant increase in peak energy demand, your PeakRewards device will receive a signal to cycle your air conditioning. Your A/C unit will resume normal operations after the cycling event has ended.
Energy Savings Days
Energy Savings Days offer another chance to save while helping to conserve resources. BGE generally schedules Energy Savings Days on hot summer days when homes and businesses are expected to generate a high demand for electricity. Typically, there have been four Energy Savings Days over the last three summers but BGE anticipates there could be up to 6 each summer. You can use up to two cycling overrides per summer on Energy Savings Days.
- Your PeakRewards device will be cycled up to 50% on Energy Savings Days regardless of your chosen cycling level.
- Your device will start cycling around 1 pm and end cycling around 7 pm. You will have a unique cycling start and stop time that will display on your thermostat during the Energy Savings Day.
Emergency Cycling Events
When regional demand for electricity is close to surpassing supply, BGE may be required by PJM, the Regional Transmission Operator for the Mid-Atlantic region, to activate an emergency cycling event, usually called to avoid potential brownouts and rolling blackouts.
- During emergency cycling events, PeakRewards A/C program participants will be cycled up to their chosen cycling level (50%, 75% or 100%) and cannot override participation. If you have a medical or health issue that may impact program participation or require assistance, please call the PeakRewards customer hotline at 1.888.309.PEAK (7325).
- The length of a cycling event will depend on the need for BGE to reduce electric demand. Events will generally begin between 12 pm and 3 pm and could last 7 hours or longer if system reliability requires a longer transition to normal operations. BGE is unable to predict the duration or number of times it will cycle air conditioners or electric heat pumps each year.
- After the emergency event ends, there will be a transition period until full operation of your unit is restored. Please make sure that your cycling level still fits the needs of your family in advance of cycling season.
As a PeakRewards participant, you are guaranteed to receive your monthly PeakRewards credit (June–September). If you choose to participate on an Energy Savings Day and reduce your electricity usage, you can earn a bill credit of $1.25 for every kilowatt-hour saved compared to your typical usage. If you participate in both PeakRewards and Energy Savings Days, you’ll receive whichever credit is higher each month.
|Summer Bill Cedits
(June, July, Aug, Sep)
|Winter Bill Credits
(Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb)
You’re allowed two overrides on Energy Savings Days. You can schedule your overrides by calling the PeakRewards customer hotline or during an Energy Savings day, right from your thermostat. However if the Energy Savings Day transitions to an emergency event, your override will no longer apply and you will be cycled up to your chosen level.
Overrides are not permitted on Emergency Cycling Events.
Moving out can be stressful and exciting, and there are just a few things you need to do to get your PeakRewards Wi-Fi thermostat ready for the new owners. Plus – if you’re feeling proactive, you can contact our customer hotline and find out if your new address is enrolled in PeakRewards so you can keep enjoying your summer bill credits.
Select a topic below the learn more about moving out with PeakRewards.
Unregistering your Wi-Fi thermostat
It’s important to unregister your Wi-Fi thermostat before the new owner moves in. This will ensure they are able to register the thermostat on their devices and have thermostat control at their fingertips.
- Log into your web portal account.
- Click on the Menu icon in the top right corner.
- Click on UNREGISTER THERMOSTAT.
- Select the thermostat you want to unregister by clicking on the checkbox.
- Click on Unregister.
- If you only have one thermostat registered on this account, it will prompt you with a warning message. To continue with unregistering your ecobee, click on Delete Account.