By choosing to participate in the PeakRewards Multifamily program, an air conditioning switch device or thermostat can be installed in each unit and your residents will automatically be enrolled in the program at no out-of-pocket cost to you. In exchange, your residents will receive $50 - $100 in BGE summer bill credits depending on the cycling level they choose.
How does it work?
By enrolling, your communities will join with BGE in the effort to reduce the amount of electricity used during summer “peak demand” periods. This helps maintain reliable service while keeping down the electricity cost for everyone. If there is a significant increase in peak energy demand between June 1 and September 30, the PeakRewards air conditioner device installed in each unit will receive a signal to cycle each unit’s air conditioning. This helps all BGE customers avoid power interruptions.
What are the benefits?
Joining the PeakRewards Multifamily program allows you to upgrade your units and increase their value at no out-of-pocket cost to you. The benefits include:
- Professional installation of a PeakRewards switch or thermostat device in each unit.
- Collection and recycling of existing mercury thermostats, if applicable
- A welcome kit containing helpful program information
- $100 - $200 summer bill credits for your residents
- Increased value – 64% of millennials are willing to pay top dollar to live in an eco-friendly apartment community.*
- The opportunity for additional savings through our Quick Home Energy Check-Up programs
* According to RentecDirect.com
Your residents will:
- Receive $100 - $200 credits on their BGE bills in the first year
- Choose a cycling level that best fits their lifestyle
- Stay connected with cycling event notifications
- Be a part of the solution by helping ease energy demands and protect our environment
|A/C Program Participation Level||Summer Credits Per Month: June, July, August, September||First Year Bonus Per Month†||First Year Total (Credits Plus Bonus)|
BGE will continue to support your community by:
- Providing PeakRewards marketing support materials to your leasing office
- Hold informational events onsite to introduce the program to residents
- Install the new thermostats and show your staff how to operate them
How does it help?
By participating in PeakRewards, you are taking a smart and easy step to:
- Ease the burden on our existing electricity delivery system and reduce the need for additional power plants
- Protect our environment by lowering power plant emissions to reduce our carbon footprint
- Energy-saving solutions brought to you by EmPOWER Maryland
How do I enroll my community?
If you are a property owner, please contact 443-873-0309. The PeakRewards Multifamily team will contact you to schedule a program contract review prior to a community meeting and device installation. See BGE Terms and Conditions.