By choosing to participate in the PeakRewards program, you will receive free upgrades to your community while helping reduce energy demand. The PeakRewards Multifamily program will install technologically advanced thermostats in all of your units and automatically enroll your residents into the program at no out-of-pocket cost to you. In exchange, your residents receive great benefits including a technologically advanced programmable thermostat and summer BGE bill credits.
How does it work?
By enrolling, your communities will join with BGE in the effort to reduce the amount of electricity used during “peak demand” periods. This helps BGE maintain reliable service while keeping down the cost of electricity for everyone. If there is a significant increase in peak energy demand between June 1 and September 30, the PeakRewards thermostats installed in your units will receive a signal to cycle each unit’s air conditioning, which helps all BGE customers avoid power interruptions.
What are the benefits?
Joining PeakRewards allows you to upgrade your units and increase their value at no out-of-pocket cost to you. The benefits include:
- Professional installation of a technologically advanced programmable thermostat in every unit
- Collection and recycling of existing mercury thermostats, if applicable
- A welcome kit containing helpful program information
- Annual heating and cooling cost savings for your residents
- The ability for your residents to program their thermostats from anywhere they have access to the Internet
- Increased value – nearly nine in every ten Americans would prefer to live in an eco-friendly space*
- The opportunity for additional savings through our Electric Water Heater and Quick Home Energy Check-Up programs
* According to 2010 Rent.com national survey.
Your residents will:
- Receive credits on their BGE bills every summer
- Choose a cycling level that best fits their lifestyle
- Save more by setting their new, programmable thermostat to maximize savings year-round
- Enjoy the convenience of PeakRewards Online Access
- Stay connected with cycling event notifications
- Be part of the solution by helping ease energy demands and protect our environment
|A/C Program Participation Level||Summer Credits Per Month: June, July, August, September||First Year Bonus Per Month†||First Year Total
(Credits Plus Bonus)
† First year bonus intended only for the initial customer enrollment and device installation.
A customer moving into a home with an existing PeakRewards device will be defaulted to a 50% cycling level. A new move-in customer will receive ongoing bill credits, if they continue to participate in the program, but will not receive the first-year matching bonus. The first-year matching bonus credits are only intended for the initial customer enrollment and device installation.
BGE will continue to support your community by:
- Providing PeakRewards marketing support materials to your leasing office
- Hold informational events onsite to introduce the program to residents
- Install the new thermostats and show your staff how to operate them
How does it help?
By participating in PeakRewards, you are taking a smart and easy step to:
- Ease the burden on our existing electricity delivery system and reduce the need for additional power plants
- Protect our environment by lowering power plant emissions to reduce our carbon footprint
- Support the state's EmPOWER Maryland goals
How do I enroll my community?
Call the PeakRewards Multifamily team at 410.682.8294. The Multifamily team will schedule an on-site community meeting and the thermostat installations. Once the thermostats are installed, the team will support you in promoting the money-saving benefits of PeakRewards at your property.